I have had two June babies, so I know what this feels like. Having been through two of England’s hot summers while pregnant, I can empathise with anyone who is heavily pregnant in the warmer months. Now usually this isn’t so much of a problem with a normal English summer, as we usually don’t really get a proper go at it. But when it’s hot, it’s hot, and with little in the way of air conditioning, it can be downright unpleasant. There were days where I had to resort to sitting in an air conditioned car to get some relief. Now I am not suggesting this as a long term solution, but there were days when it was just unbearable. Combine being 30-40 lbs. heavier than normal with swollen feet, add in a humid heat, and you’ve got a miserable pregnant woman on your hands. Equally, downright unpleasant.
Tips for staying cool in the summer while pregnant
- Stay inside with the windows open
- Put your feet up to reduce swelling
- Drink plenty of water
- Have your partner sit beside you and fan you all day (seriously)
- Invest in a good fan and position it well in your bedroom at night
- Get some help with housework / and or other children
- Wear some very cool shades
- Get some really lovely summer maternity clothes (from Bundle-O-Joy) that are lightweight, comfortable and will make you feel pretty, even when you don’t feel it
To beat the heat, buy an amazing summer maternity bundles – just in and available in S, M, and L. Or buy one for a pregnant friend or spouse, and put the smile back on their face.
If you have any of your own great tips or suggestions for staying cool while pregnant post them in the comments.